Monday, October 1, 2012

Raspberry Ice Cream Recipe

Outrageous or Outrageously Delicious?

It was Sunday, and I was thinking of ice cream (I seem to think about ice cream a lot). I had the urge to experiment with frozen yogurt (maybe next week) but also felt like making something strawberry. After the fabulous success of the Chocolate Fudge Ripple Ice Cream last week, I was feeling empowered enough to try my hand at making a perfect strawberry ice cream. However, we didn't have strawberries: we had raspberries, and I felt like improvising.


After some research, I decided to combine a few different recipes and experiment with Ben & Jerry's style ice cream - made with raw eggs. It turns out there's a lot of controversy regarding raw eggs in ice cream! I checked out these links for their views on raw eggs: The Garden WebChow, and Serious Eats. Ultimately I decided to go for it, because what's the worst that could happen? A horrible bout of food poisoning? I figured I would test-try a bowl before poisoning anyone.

Raspberry Ice Cream Recipe

2 cups frozen raspberries
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 large eggs
3/4 + 1/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup milk
1 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream

Mix together raspberries, lemon juice and 1/4 cup sugar in a bowl and set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs until light and frothy. Slowly add 3/4 cup sugar and beat for several minutes, add vanilla and milk. Pour mixture into ice cream maker (mine uses a pre-frozen mixing container). Turn on the ice cream maker, let partially freeze for a few minutes, pour in cream. Keep the ice cream maker running for another ten minutes or so - mixture should be half frozen. Slowly add raspberry mixture to ice cream maker - the rotating action of the bowl should mix them in evenly and leave some raspberries whole. 

Pour into plastic storage container and leave in freezer for twelve hours or overnight until fully frozen. 

Verdict: creamy, delicious raspberry ice cream. Very fun, tart flavour. While I never got around to having the family test-taste it, S and I didn't get food poisoning from the raw eggs. Would I do it again? Definitely. I may have to try lemon ice cream next....




No comments:

Post a Comment